| Description of Job: This person will work closely with the Microbiology Manager and other team members to design and execute a wide range of microbial fermentation optimization experiments to develop scalable and cost-effective fermentation media and conditions and downstream processing processes to support development of new bio-pesticides, plant growth regulators and other biorational products. This individual will also be responsible for experimental data analysis and interpretation as well as preparation and presentation of reports and recommendations. |
• Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
• Prepare and maintain master and working stocks of microbial strains following written procedures, and revise or develop preparation protocols as needed.
• Develop seed preparation, inoculation and fermentation protocols.
• Identify key factors affecting fermentation including media compositions, inoculum preparation, inoculation rate, and fermentation control parameters. • Design fermentation optimization experiments based on literature, knowledge and experience.
• Conduct bench top and pilot scale fermentation experiments to improve yield of biomass, desirable metabolites and minimize undesirable metabolites.
• Scale up or scale down fermentation processes from benchtop to production scales.
• Optimize or develop downstream processes as needed.
• Handle and work with a variety of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi.
• Perform microbiological, physical, microscopic, analytical or bioassay experiments as required.
• Maintain laboratory equipment and instruments and follow GLP guidelines where required.
• Trouble-shoot contamination issues in both pilot plant and in production plants as needed.
• Provide fermentation support to manufacturing operations as needed.
• Write research reports and prepare technical presentations.
• Keep detail records of experiments and documentation.