· Under the direction of the Manager Technical Services (St. Joseph) oversees testing activities in the area of clinical specialty which includes: technical personnel training and competency assessments; equipment validation and maintenance; quality control; policies and procedures; proficiency testing; occurrence reporting; performance monitors and process improvement; regulatory and safety compliance.
· The Technical Specialist maintains competencies and test proficiency in the specialty area.
· The Technical Specialist will provide technical oversight of the Oncology, Niles and Watervliet laboratories, specific to the specialty area, in collaboration with onsite management with the goal of assuring test standardization and reviewing test quality data to insure accurate results which includes review of records and recommendations for corrective actions.
· Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification required (ASCP).
· ASCP Specialty in Microbiology Certification preferred.
· Bachelor degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or chemical, physical or biological science required.
· Experience in high complexity clinical laboratory setting for a minimum of 4 years.
· Technical knowledge: Has an extensive base of knowledge in the specialty and seeks to improve and keep up-to-date on new technology and test recommendations.
· Critical thinking skills: Applies technical knowledge to evaluate data and recommend or complete corrective actions.
· Mentors/Trains: Is able to teach and train so that knowledge and skills are shared throughout the laboratories.
· Manages multiple priorities while insuring timely and accurate results.
· Communicates appropriate information to laboratory associates, patient care personnel and physicians.
· Works as a team leader and member; shares information on workload and problems across sites; helps co-workers as needed; escalates issues as appropriate.
Internal Number: 103858
About Lakeland Health
If you’re passionate about helping others and value teamwork, treating people with respect, being accountable, inspiring others, trust, and keeping your patients and colleagues safe, then we invite you to explore our many career opportunities. Lakeland Health, southwest Michigan’s largest employer, has been named in the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® by Truven Health Analytics and received many other awards for quality outcomes, excellent map-michigan value, and patient care. Learn more by visiting About Lakeland.